Out of the entire U.S travel industry, business travel accounts for a significant chunk of the pie. In 2016 alone, Americans took 457.4 million business trips. A number that big makes one wonder how many of those people also had time, or made time, for a little bleisure?
Business + leisure = bleisure. The idea that a little fun can, and should be, sprinkled into a business trip. In fact, a little fun in between business appointments can actually enhance the performance of the business traveler. Though not every destination offers an excellent array of bleisure opportunities, plenty of destinations do.
One such ideal bleisure destination is Boston, Massachusetts. A city bursting with incredible dining establishments, history, and culture, few destinations are as easy to enjoy-while-working as Boston! If you’re lucky enough to be heading to Boston soon for a business trip, check out this quick guide on how to turn your Boston business trip into a Boston bleisure trip.
Savor The Flavors
A city famous for its eclectic culinary offerings, it would be a shame not to indulge in one or more of these delectable restaurants:
- Bistro du Midi – A view of the Public Gardens, French fare, incredible wines, delicious poultry and revolutionary seafood.
- Hojoko – Garage-rock soundtrack, vintage Asian memorabilia, dynamic cuisine ranging from sushi rolls to bacon wrapped leeks.
- Island Creek Oyster Bar – Oysters in Boston are a must, and this is the place to shoot ‘em. Sip on elegant cocktails as you make your way through one delicious dish after the next.
When You Need a Coffee Break
Skip Starbucks and opt to explore and enjoy these spectacular Boston Cafes:
- Pavement Coffeehouse – Strong coffee, scrumptious handmade bagels, and fantastic wifi.
- Barrington Coffee Roasting Company – Beans from around the world, matcha treats, and plenty of cold coffee options.
- Newsfeed Cafe – Located within the stunning Boston Public Library, this cafe is worth a trip just to check out its unique surroundings!
Tune Into America’s Past
Few cities offer more in the way of American history than Boston. Get a dose of how our great nation came to be in between meetings:
- Walk Along The Freedom Trail – This is an excellent way to stretch your legs and learn a little history! Self-guide yourself by following the marked brick pathway.
- Visit Paul Revere’s Home – Not only did the iconic Paul Revere live here, but his home also happens to be the oldest building in the city!
- Granary Burial Ground – Here you can visit the final resting place of a variety of people whose lives changed American history.
Of all the cities in our great nation, Boston may just take the cake for having an incredible amount of awe-inspiring neighborhoods. Stretch your legs with an envy-inducing stroll through:
- Copley Square – Between the history, dining and drinking, shopping, and gorgeous buildings, few areas in Boston compare.
- Beacon Hill – Think you’ve seen a gorgeous brick neighborhood before? Think again. Beacon Hill is magnificent and worth every hill climb. Oh, and there are literal gaslights. Straight out of Chronicles of Narnia, except they’re real.
- Back Bay – Rows of Bostons iconic brownstone houses line many of the Back Bay’s streets. This neighborhood bumps up right against the Charles River and offers an incredible amount of dining, shopping, and history.
Adventure in Boston’s Urban Nature
Boston may be as urban as cities come, but it also offers an abundance of nature to explore!
- Boston Common – Picnic, stroll, or just sit and observe in the most iconic of Boston public parks. For the true Boston Common tourist experience, take a ride on one of the swan boats.
- Boston Public Garden – Part of the Boston Common, the Boston Public Garden is just what the name implies – a perfectly manicured beautiful garden for anyone to enjoy at any time!
- Charles River Esplanade – A scenic park stretching along the south bank of the Charles River, the Esplanade is the perfect place to go for an early morning run. Or, if running isn’t your choice activity, this is a peaceful place to take your eyes off of a screen and onto nature.
Let the inspiring sights, sounds, tastes, and feels of Boston inspire you throughout your business trip! Not only is there much to enjoy throughout Boston, Boston is also one of the easiest and most convenient cities to explore! Ride the Charlie, take the “T,” or simply walk. Any of the above activities can easily be done on a coffee break, lunch break, or after your working engagements finish.
For more quality exploring time, you might consider adding a day or two onto your business trip for the sole purpose of leisure! However long your business-turned-bleisure trip is, we hope you enjoy your Boston experience.
For convenient, centrally-located, luxurious, and historic accommodations, book your business stay at Copley Square Hotel!