From cost to weather, there are infinite reasons that go behind where people choose to vacation.
If you’re the proud caretaker of a precious pooch, then it’s quite likely your ultimate reason for choosing one vacation destination over another is the destinations level of pet-friendliness. Right?
Not every city goes out of its way to accommodate our four-legged friends, but if you’re dreaming of a getaway for you and Fido, we’ve got a special city in mind.
Pet Travel Tips – Boston Style
A city filled with history, delicious cuisine, and dog-friendly parks aplenty. We’re talking about Boston, Massachusettes.
Known for its ancient (as far as the U.S. is concerned) history, dedication to freedom and an impressive array of universities, Boston may not be on your radar for being pet-friendly, but it should be, and here’s why:
Dog Park Dreams do Come True
As you stroll through one of America’s most walkable cities, you may happen upon one or more of Boston’s delightful Dog Parks.
– Peter’s Park on 230 Shawmut Avenue – Fairly new, fenced, off-leash park featuring a separate area for small dogs, benches for sitting, and clean gravel.
– Carleton Court Dog Park on 49 Carlton Street – Near the Back Bay, Carleton dog park is surrounded by beautiful buildings and allows dogs off leash so both you and Fido can have a lovely time.
– Boston Common in the Back Bay- You may be surprised to know that there are now certain parts of the Boston Commons where dogs are allowed off-leash! Dogs are welcome anywhere, anytime in the park on a leash.
– Boston Public Garden in the Back Bay – A beautiful place for you and Fido, but Fido must be on a leash.
Seek New Adventures at These Boston Pet-Friendly Places
Your pet deserves to seek new horizons outside of the dog park, and in Boston, that’s totally possible! Leash up and head out to any of these pet-friendly places:
– Castle Island Beach in South Boston – Frolic along the sand, but be sure to keep the leash on!
– Take a ride on the water taxis! One of the most exciting ways to get around town, Boston features water taxis and Fido is welcome to ride along too, for free!
– Boston’s iconic Freedom Trail! Just follow the red-lined route on all, or part, of 2.5 miles that will take you, and Fido, through Boston’s riveting history.
– The Esplanade – Explore the beauty of the Charles River and everything alongside it as the two of you stroll along the Charles River Esplanade. There are even pet-friendly canoe and kayak rentals.
Treat Fido to All New Everything
A fabulous vacation usually includes at least one grand shopping excursion, and in Boston that can include Fido too! Here are our favorite pet boutiques and stores to peruse:
– Pawsh Dog Boutique on 31 Gloucester Street -Fun Accessories
– Polka Dog Bakery on 256 Shawmut Avenue – Treats and Accessories
– The Fish & Bone on Newbury Street – Pet Supplies, Toys, and Gear
– D’Tails Pet Boutique on Columbus Avenue – Services, Day Care, and Supplies
A Table Set For Two
Dining out is one of Boston’s biggest draws due to its comprehensive and delicious array of restaurants. Yet, for pet owners dining out can be the ultimate challenge. Not in Boston, though, because you can frequent these delightful establishments, most of which offer pet-friendly patios:
– Bar Boulud on Boylston Street
– Besito Mexican on Boylston Street
– Bistro du Midi on Boylston Street
– Coppa on Shawmut Avenue
– Gaslight on Harrison Avenue
– Itadaki on Newbury Street
– Kinsale on 2 Center Plz
– MJ O’Connor’s on Columbus Avenue
Now that you know where to play, explore, shop, and eat, all that’s left is to choose your pet-friendly accommodations. Boston is a city for walking, and assuming you’ve got Fido in tow, we’re positive you’ll want to stay in the heart of the city. Perfectly situated in Boston’s iconic Back Bay and near all the pet-friendly places lies Copley Square Hotel. Historical, luxurious, and absolutely pet-friendly, a stay at Copley Square will be the icing on the cake of your Boston getaway.
For more information on pet-friendly places and sights in Boston, visit BringFido.com